Friday, May 13, 2011

Would You Like Whipped Cream with That?



There are so many bizarre claims when it comes to what you drink. The most common being, it's liquid, so my body won't take in the calories as if it were food. I hate to break it to you, but that's ridiculous! After thinking up this blog topic, I decided to take it very seriously (or feed my sudden craving) and go to my favorite coffee shop in Troy, Flavours Cafe. Before I went, I did a little research on just how fattening some of the delicious drinks really are. I was stunned by the results, and completely rethought my order.

So many people take the claim that it won't taste as good if they get the "nonfat" version. Ten years ago, maybe, but with our food revolution, this is far from the truth. Not only can you not taste a difference, but you can save yourself around 500 calories just by throwing in a couple of "skinny" words. So what are the terms and words? And no, I don't mean mocha-frappa-chinolino-quadricafemcdoubletini.

Lite: If you are going to a chain cafe, like Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Coffee Bean, then you will find the restaurant with "skinny" or lite" options, automatically slashing those calories. If you go to Starbucks and order a Tall Caramel Frappuccino with a little bit of whipped cream, you're tacking on 300 calories to your day. Throw in the little word light, and the same sized drink is setting you back a small 130, and chances are you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a taste test.

Non-fat/no sugar: If you're like me, and prefer the small local cafes, the chances that they'll have "lite" and "skinny" versions right on the menu are not as high. However, this doesn't mean you can't make it happen. Next time you ask for your vanilla latte, ask for a non-fat, no sugar version, and your barista won't hesitate to put in the order. Non fat will give you skim milk instead of whole or cream. This alone will save you 140 calories! Also, the difference in sugar and whipped cream can save you an additional 200. We're talking almost 400 calories just by saying two little words that your taste buds won't even recognize.

When you walk into a cafe or a bakery, remember first and foremost that it shouldn't be an every day indulgence, so chances are it's a nice treat for your tummy. That being said, remember that you will have more of these moments, and there's no reason to put all of your eggs in one basket, or in this case, all of them into your coffee mug. Before coming to the shop, I had my heart set on a fruit smoothie. I knew that they were natural and fresh, but that they also had some dairy. Not only does this balance out, but it also isn't full of sugar and processed smoothie chain ingredients, allowing me to feel good about my order. Taking a second look at the menu, I saw frozen lemonade with fresh strawberries. The cashier informed me that it was simply fresh lemons and strawberries, and I immediately ordered it. Sipping away at the sweet but delicious drink, not only did I seriously enjoy it, but I seriously enjoyed how I felt after drinking it. Healthy, sure of what I was drinking, and 110% satisfied.

If you're with a friend, they may order that 500 calories cream murderer, and that's fine, but it doesn't mean you have to. The best part of someone your with ordering a marvelous daring drink or that huge mouth watering muffin is that you can taste it. Instead of totally depriving yourself, you get a bite, know the taste, and save the rest of the calories by not eating it. Personally, I'd walk out of the cafe feeling much better about myself then walking out with a bloated stomach and regret. A few minutes of thought can go a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment