Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Daily Grind

It's Hump day! It's been a pretty relaxing/hectic/stressful week all in one if that even sounds plausible. The heat has been rising, but the humidity I can't even believe! Don't get me wrong, I love working out under the hot sun, but the humidity makes it a little (so much) less fun. Today I've decided to share my daily routine with you guys, because one thing that always helps me to stay motivated is to be inspired by other people, and to see what they like to do in their own lives to stay healthy and fit. Plus I took pictures, and who doesn't love pictures.

Tuesday:
Yesterday was a very easy, balanced day. I felt good about what I accomplished, worked out in the morning, and also at night to rev up my metabolism twice. I got a little "snack-happy" at night, but I can allow myself to feel okay about it because the rest of my day was balanced, it's what I really wanted, and it was a splurge of healthy things, but definitely a splurge : ).

Breakfast I usually stick with the same kind of food. I think the best way to start your day is with plenty of protein and fiber. It fills you up, energizes you, and will power your system for the entire day ahead. I top a piece of "Bran for Life" toast (RUN to your store and grab a loaf, it is so incredible. 80 calories for the most filling, nutritious bread you will ever eat) with an egg, however you want it cooked, and usually pair it with some kind of fruit or yogurt.


Before my first run, I had a "Special K Protein Water" which I was a little nervous about trying, but was so surprised and delighted when I tried it, it was delicious! With an added bonus of fiber in there, what's a better way to rev up your morning workout. I did just under 4 miles in the AM outside.


Lunch yesterday was a quick meal between tons of errands. I was in the mood for a little flavor, a little meat, and a little bit of Mexico. I grabbed half a tortilla, put a spoonful or two of my homemade fresh salsa, a sprinkle of boiled chicken, an egg white, and some hot sauce, and was good to go. The benefit of a heartier breakfast is that it stays with you longer, so that you'll never be starving by lunch time.


Between lunch and dinner I had a huge apple, so good, and so perfect. Dinner was refreshing and just enough to satisfy me. I never like to eat much right before I go to bed because I hate waking up feeling full. Bed of fresh greens topped with some chicken, veggie bean salad, and a couple of swirls of pesto feta pasta. (my splurge of the day was eating copious amounts of the veggie bean salad with plain tortilla chips-so good.


After dinner I went to the gym for a quick 30 minute power workout, just to finish the day. A quick 2 mile run will work wonders before going to bed.

When the summer hits, I usually find myself naturally eating less. I'm a big snack fan, and sometimes when I think about eating a midday snack, I realize that I'm just not hungry enough for it. No forcing, just recognizing what your body is telling you.

No comments:

Post a Comment