Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Heat + Encouragement = No Such Luck

At 5 pm today, I looked at the thermometer and it had GONE DOWN to 103. It's only June, right?! I guess that's what happens when you go south for the summertime - heat! Today I worked worked worked in the morning before the scorching numbers arrived, and completely chilled for the rest of the afternoon and evening. Totally needed.

One thing that I find myself constantly reminding myself, and also preaching to others is the importance of "spoiling your appetite". Sounds like your parent's worse nightmare, right? I am an avid Bethenny Frankel fan (http://www.bethenny.com/) and give her so much credit for my changed lifestyle. I've been a fan of Bethenny since The Apprentice, and only loved her more when she appeared on The Real Housewives (best show ever, who's with me?). Bethenny is also the author of incredible and inspiring books, such as Naturally Thin (http://www.bethenny.com/2010/05/08/naturally-thin/). Naturally Thin gives readers "rules" on how to live your life of eating, and through simple words and explanations, I have learned to incorporate them into my life every day, so easily. If I preach one rule the most, it's that you should never diet. Instead, change how you live your life, and how you eat day to day.

My next favorite rule is again, spoiling your appetite. The purpose of this rule emphasizes the importance of one of my favorite things: snacking. I believe the most common misconception of snacking is that it's "unnecessary calories", which is only true if you make it true. Snacking shouldn't be grabbing a 400 calorie candy bar because it's there and you want it, snacking should be eating a 100-200 calorie piece of food that supreses your appetite so that you aren't starving for your next meal and end of eating much more than you really needed to. By eating a filling, fiber filled snack, you will feel satisfied, and not so distracted by your hunger. Have a piece of toast with PB, or like me, have a big juicy apple. 100 calories of this will not only surprisingly fill you up, but you also won't have guilt about eating something wholesome and low-cal.

Another important aspect of this rule that Bethenny highlights is practicing it before you go out to eat. If you eat a healthy snack right before you go out to dinner, you're bound to eat less because of the food that's already sitting in your stomach. Saying no to the bread basket because you already are digesting will easily save you a couple hundred unnecessary calories. So start eating a snack when you feel like it, and treat it as a mini meal, not just a bottomless open bag of tortilla chips on your desk. Personally, when the weather gets this hot, I don't always eat a snack, and that's fine! Listen to your body, what it really wants, and you're on your road to success.

Quick personal update, today was a rest day. It was SO hot out, and I've been working hard lately. So I cleaned the house in the AM, painted the outside of the garage, and just relaxed. My rest workout was just a nice brisk walk out in the sun, about 3.5 to 4 miles. Nothing strenuous, but I always feel better for doing something like that then doing nothing at all. Breakfast was again fantastic, same as yesterday. Bran for Life toast with fried egg on top and a half grapefruit.

For lunch I had a small cup of leftover chicken noodle soup (yes, I can eat soup in any season!) seasoned with hot sauce and pepper, and I cut up an apple and spread a dollop of fat free vanilla yogurt over it. Such a refreshing flavorful lunch.


Snack between lunch and dinner, and post walk: Big Fuji apple, I know, I'm addicted.

Dinner: Fresh bed of lettuce topped with leftover pesto pasta, a few chunks of white chicken breast, cut up slices of cantaloupe, and a small handful of almonds. SO delicious. I love salads because I have such a love for fresh whole vegetables, and I love taking them all in from a colorful plate of whole food. I never use dressing on my salad, not so much because it's extra calories, but because I love taking in the veggie taste without it being covered up. If I do use something because it's too dry, I'll use a splash of lemon or extra virgin olive oil. it adds the moisture without taking away from the taste.



Going out to lunch tomorrow, my menu-adventures await ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment