Monday, June 6, 2011

Setting Goals



We all do it, and we all don't always meet them, but no matter who we are or what we come up with, it's human nature to set goals for our futures. Usually around the date of, say, January 2nd, I hear what seems like thousands of goals from everyone I pass and every conversation I take part in. I used to join in and conform to the goals of what other people were coming up with, but then I realized that after years of setting them, they never really were met, and usually, I never saw them being accomplished by any of my friends either.

I knew it was time to stand back and look at why my goals weren't being met, and also where I could find the motivation to change that. First of all, when "everyone else is doing it" suddenly it's not so personal, and not getting much of your front runner attention. Also, chances are you didn't really consider why you wanted to do it, and just said any old goal spur the moment.

So I declare that it's time to redefine goals; what they are, what they're for, and what it means to set them. Most commonly, goals have to do with how much weight you want to lose by a crazy deadline. Lose 25 pounds in 2-3 months? Let's get real here! Think about your future, your overall health, and how you feel about yourself. If you put time and effort into getting in touch with you, your goals will be much easier to reach because you will have gained a level of motivation within yourself that you wouldn't have otherwise. That being said, when you know that you want to change something in your life or reach a goal, make it realistic so that you can really get there. Tell yourself that you will lose 5 pounds, and don't give yourself a time restriction. Sit down, plan out some meals, go to a grocery store and get the best foods that you can, and inspire yourself to be active. With all of the positive influences and possibly changes incorporated into your life, you will be automatically inspiring yourself to keep with your goal and to really get there after you set it.

Most importantly, I've found for myself that once I've changed my lifestyle in order to reach my goal, I usually exceed my original number and find that I've allowed myself to enjoy my life and how I've changed it, especially because of the positive results. Chances are, your original number will go up without you setting it higher, and you will continue to see results just by living in your new and positive lifestyle. Sit down with yourself, think about where you want to be, and where you are. Get out and look at things, experience new possibilities, and start incorporating some into your life that appeal to you. You never know where you (or your waistline!) could end up in two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment