Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Work(out) With What You've Got

For the past week, it has been in the high 70's and low 80's here in Albany! How insane is that? I'm loving every second of it and taking it all in hoping it doesn't suddenly disappear.

That being said, one of my most important self rules is to do my workouts outside as much as I can when it's so beautiful outside. It frustrates me so much when I see people running on a treadmill when the weather outdoors is optimal running weather. Where is the logic in that!? I also find that it can be a little tricky to transition to outdoor workouts, just being so used to working out indoors with the same air and the same temperature.

Starting outside workouts, I know it's completely healthy and reasonable to start at a lower level, and work my way up, because your surrounding definitely impact how your body is able to exercise. This week so far, I've taken two outdoor runs, one elliptical session, and 2 long leisurely walks. My first day was a 15 minute run, which I easily surpass in the gym, and my second day was a 25 minute run, later followed by a more relaxing but brisk walk, just to be outside.

The nice thing about working out outside is that I feel so much less guilty about going to the gym afterward to get in some weight training, because I know I still have taken full advantage of the weather and that my body will be better through different ways of exercise.

One of my favorite things that I do daily which I've mentioned before is to write down my workout to bring with me to workout to motivate myself and also to stay on track. Here's an example of today's workout:

March 21, Wednesday

*Alter weight and reps to fit your ability*

Cardio: 40 minutes elliptical (moderate/vigorous - HIGHLY recommend interval training! Keeps you energized the whole time burning calories as rapidly as a steady pace.)

Legs:
-body bar squat (40 reps, 18 pound bar)
-AB/AD leg machine (30 reps each leg, 60 pounds)
-forward lunge with body bar (20 reps, 18 lb.)
-backward lunge with body bar (10 reps, 18 lb)
-BOSU ball lunges (30)
-lying leg lift (30 on each leg).....lay sideways on a mat, your leg that is touching the matt should be flat and straight, with your upper leg curled, lift, lower, repeat, switch

Didn't do any arms today because of my carpal tunnel : (

Abs:
-Ball Crunch (I take a 2 lb. med ball, put it between my bent knees, get into a crunch position, and do a crunch, touching my heels and shoulders to the ground in between each rep) (30)
-water wheels (10 forward, 10 backward, all slowly)
-bicycles (pause and hold legs in upward position, and slowly crunch each side) (20)
-backward crunch (great for lower abs, 25)
-toe touch (30)
-toe lift (like a backward crunch but legs are straight upward, 25)
-V reach (20)
-crunches, mix up your style every 20 reps (60)

cardio II:
-brisk 45 minute outdoor walk

I also have noticed a huge change in my appetite with this weather, making it so much easier to subdue warm and heavy food cravings, which is just one big added bonus. I ordered a personal blender smoothie so I'm excited to try it and join the trend! I'll update you with how it goes soon.

Linnhe

No comments:

Post a Comment